WHAT IS HALIBUT?
The largest flatfish in the world the giant of the Pleuronectidae flatfish family, halibut or Hippoglossus lives in the wild in cold, deep Atlantic waters, as well as around Iceland, Greenland and Scandinavian waters, besides the northern reaches of the North Sea.
It can grow up to 2.5m long and weigh as much as 350kg. A demersal fish, it sits comfortably at the very top of the food chain and feeds by hunting other fish near the seabed, from cod to haddock and other flatfish. Halibut dive to depths of more than 1000 meters to spawn in the winter months.
Halibut is a flatfish that belongs to the family of right-eye flounders and is one of the most valuable fisheries in the world. Its meat is white, flaky, and mild in flavour.
The Halibut fish is also an excellent source of protein and a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals like calcium, phosphorus, selenium, and vitamin B12. It is low in fat and sodium and contains no carbs or sugar.
A versatile fish that can be cooked in a variety of ways. From grilling and baking to poaching and pan-frying, there are plenty of recipes out there for any taste. Here are some of our favourite halibut recipe:
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Rinse the halibut steak and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the halibut steak and cook for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Add the butter and lemon to the skillet and let the butter melt.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 12 minutes, or until the halibut steak is cooked through.
- Serve the halibut steak with lemon wedges.
Get the best taste from our delicious Halibut today.
https://www.norsupplies.com/product/whole-gutted-halibut/ – Order Yours Today